Want to turn your creativity into passive income? Did you know learning how to create Canva templates to sell for passive
Many people online are currently utilizing the Canva templates function to make thousands of dollars each month by making and selling their unique Canva templates.
What Is Canva?
Canva is one of my favorite design tools because it is easy-to-use, web-based so you can access it anywhere, and has amazing tools built in. Millions of people use it to easily and quickly create beautiful design work.
I use it for everything design related, from creating my digital products to designing my YouTube thumbnails and whipping up quick social media posts. It’s easy to use for design and can also be a great tool for creating digital products that will earn you passive income.
I use Canva to create some of my best selling printables in my Etsy shop where I sell digital downloads for passive income. You can use Canva to easily create digital products you can sell on sites like Etsy or Shopify to make passive income.
Why Canva Is Great For Creating Digital Products
Canva works great for creating designs you can sell. The software is easy to use even for beginners and there are many Canva tutorials out there.
Canva has many benefits:
- It is easy to use even as a beginner.
- It’s free for the basic version with lots of features.
- Canva has many advanced tools and functions included.
- There are many pre-made templates, graphics, and font combos to inspire you.
- The pro version is low cost – half the price compared to Adobe Creative.
- It allows you to make products fast with easy duplications and resizing.
- It is web based so you can access it anywhere.
- There are many Canva tutorials making it easy to learn.
- It has desktop and mobile applications and you can switch between use.
Why I Love Using Canva
I use Canva Pro to create all of my printables, YouTube thumbnails, and social media graphics as well. The monthly fee for the professional version of the platform is well worth it. It’s been the most used tool in growing my business.
It’s a fantastic all in one design tool for any business and the best investment someone can make in starting an Etsy printable business. I’m not a designer but it’s been my key to success!
If you are using Canva and want to create digital products to sell, then you need to know about their template function.
It makes creating and sharing design templates easy and these digital products are selling like hotcakes on Etsy and other e-commerce websites.
Who Buys Canva Templates?
Canva is incredibly easy to use even as a beginner. But if Canva is so easy to use, why would people pay to buy Canva templates? Wouldn’t they just make their own designs?
This is a common concern from people who want to sell digital products for passive income.
People Who Don’t Like Designing
But here is something you should know: not everyone wants to be a designer. Some people enjoy creating designs. For them it is meditative and fun to use their creative muscles. Others do not enjoy the creative design process. They don’t want to spend their time creating a design when they could skip all of that effort.
Many people would rather pay to skip the design portion. They spend a tiny bit of money and get a beautiful pre-designed template ready to be used.
People Who Don’t Have Time
Designing your template takes more time than customizing it each use. For people who are short on time it is more effective to pay for a template to save on that design time.
Buying a pre-made Canva template is like outsourcing your work to a graphic designer but at a fraction fo the price. You save a ton of time by hiring someone else to do the work designing a template.
For those that have little time but can afford to spend money, Canva templates are a huge benefit.
Why Do People Buy Canva Templates?
People purchase Canva templates for a variety of reasons.
You might wonder why they don’t just use the free templates that Canva offers. This is usually because those free templates are oversaturated – you will see thousands of people use the same free Instagram post template for example. Many don’t even customize it to fit their brand!
People Want To Stand Out
People buy Canva templates because they are often more unique than the free templates already on Canva. When you buy a template someone else designed you know it will stand out more than the free templates. You’ll also be able to more easily customize it because it was designed to be customized.
People Want A Bundle Deal
People also buy Canva templates because they get many different designs at once. Canva template sellers on Etsy or Creative Market sell packages or bundles of templates. Canva templates inside the platform are one-off pieces where you just get one Instagram post template for example. When you buy Canva templates from a seller you are often 20 or more templates to use. Buying this many templates will give you everything you need to keep things fresh and consistent even while using a template.
Who Sells Canva Templates?
A lot of people are selling Canva templates on sites like Etsy because there is a lot of demand for these templates. The demand means there is still room for more people to sell Canva templates!
Who could benefit from selling Canva templates:
- Content creators looking to monetize better
- Graphic designs looking for more passive income
- Business owners wanting a new revenue stream
What do you need to sell Canva templates:
- Canva Pro account
- Love for using Canva
- Design skills (which you can learn using YouTube!)
Most people selling Canva templates are not graphic designers. I’m certainly not! However, I love design and have an unique style that I’ve worked to develop by watching tutorials. Anyone can do this by putting in the work to learn how to design well.
How To Make Canva Templates To Sell
Creating Canva templates is incredibly easy. You can watch the video above or follow the step by step instruction below.
Creating Your Canva Template Design
- First sign up for a Canva Pro account
- Now open up Canva and choose the design size. (In the video example I used Instagram posts, which is a popular digital product idea for Canva templates that sell.)
- You can design templates at any size and in this example I chose 1080 x 1080 px for an Instagram post template
- Create your design from scratch using elements, text, and photo frames people can fill in when using your Canva template
- Change the name of your design to describe what it is for your customers and for your own organization
Sharing Your Canva Template Design
- Click the three dots button in the top right corner
- In the search bar type “Template”
- Select the Template icon that pops up under the search bar
- Click the dropdown to add a template to a folder
- Select the folder you want to keep this template in
- Or click the “+Create new” link at the bottom to create a new folder inside Canva to organize your templates for sale – I named mine “Etsy Templates For Sale” in the example
- Then click “Add to new folder” purple button
- Once the folder is selected then click the “Publish template” purple button
- This will publish your design as a template! Now you can either view your Canva template, continue editing, or share the template.
- To sell your Canva template you’ll need to share it and grab the link for your future customers
- You can view your template by going to the folder you created and to share you can click on the design to get the share link
- Or to share the template you can go to edit the original design and then click the “Share” button in the top menu
- In the Share dropdown you will go to the bottom drop down that says “Share a link to edit” click this and select the “Share a link to use as a template” option
- This will automatically create a link to the right. Click “Copy link” to copy for sharing
- You can then paste the link wherever you need to share it for your customers – in a pdf, in a message, on a thank you page!
That is all you need to do in order to create Canva templates as a digital product.
Canva Templates You Can Create
If you’re planning to sell your Canva templates you might be curious about what types of templates you should make. What are people buying? What types of templates should you make?
Here are some Canva templates to make:
- Workbook templates
- Ebook templates
- Media kit templates
- Resume templates
- Instagram post templates
- Instagram story templates
- YouTube thumbnails
- Social media graphics
- And more!
For each of these template ideas you can base your design around your niche audience’s needs. This creates a product guaranteed to sell!
How Much Money Can You Make With Canva Templates?
Are you curious about this? Do you wonder how much money can you make selling Canva templates?
This is a common question on my videos about Canva templates. People want to know if it’s worth the work to design the template packages.
It’s also a tricky question to answer. The amount of money you can make selling Canva templates depends on a wide range of factors:
- the type of template you sell
- your design skills
- product pricing
- niche audience selection
- quality of designs and service
- ability to create offers that sell
- promotion of your products
There are so many factors that go into actually selling the templates that the amount of money will vary widely.
How Much Money People Make Selling Canva Templates
That’s not super helpful so here are some examples of people I know:
- Blogger A makes $2,300+ each month
- Esty Seller B makes $300+ each month
- Etsy Guru C makes $3,500+ each month
- YouTuber D makes $100+ each month
These are real examples from people I know and it shows the wide range you can earn from selling Canva templates.
Some people have nailed their product, audience, and promotion which allows them to earn thousands per month. Others are earning just a couple hundred dollars. You will likely fall somewhere in this wide range!
Most people I know selling Canva templates do it as a side gig to their main income. Because it is passive income after the initial work it is a great additional income stream to an existing business or blog.
Where Can You Sell Canva Templates?
There are many places to sell Canva templates. The most popular is Etsy or on your own website.
There are multiple places you can sell Canva templates:
You can use one of these or list your templates in multiple places to take advantage of existing traffic on a site like Etsy.
Selling Canva Templates On Etsy
Etsy is by far the easiest place to start selling templates immediately. You can quickly open a shop and sell your products without much work.
To get started selling on Etsy follow these steps:
- Create an Etsy shop
- Create a listing for your templates
- Add photos, videos, and a description to entice customers
- Upload a PDF with instructions and a link to the template
- Create a message to buyers with the link to your template
That’s it! Etsy will then do almost all the work for you as your templates sell over and over again.
Selling Canva Templates On Your Website
Selling your Canva templates on your own website is a little bit more complicated to start.
There are multiple options for selling digital products like Canva templates on a website. My two favorites are Shopify and WooCommerce. These are very popular e-commerce solutions and either one can be useful for you as a seller.
First, let’s look at selling Canva templates with your own website via Shopify.
Sell on your website with Shopify:
- Shopify is ideal for e-commerce beginners because the tools are so easy to use.
- Start by heading to Shopify and getting a free trial.
- Set up your shop and push it live. (You can use a tutorial on setting up Shopify for Digital Products!)
- Purchase a custom domain through Shopify to remove “myshopify” from the URL.
- Adjust the settings of your Shopify store.
- Create a listing for your product.
- Add the template link to the thank you page and follow up email.
- That’s it! You can get started super quickly with Shopify and they handle much of the work.
Now let’s look at selling Canva templates with your own website via WordPress with WooCommerce.
Sell on your website with WooCommerce:
- This solution is great especially if you already have a WordPress site or want to use WordPress.
- Buy your domain from GoDaddy or NameCheap..
- Buy website hosting from BlueHost (cheap to start) or BigScoots (fast and better customer service).
- Install WordPress with one click with your web host to create your WordPress site.
- Find a theme that supports WooCommerce like one from BLUCHIC.
- Install the required plugins your theme needs.
- Install the WooCommerce plugin. (This will create the e-commerce platform you need to sell on WordPress.)
- Adjust the settings in WooCommerce to collect payments via Stripe and PayPal.
- Create a New Product in your WooCommerce section.
- Add the title, description, listing photo,
- Check the “Virtual” and “Downloadable” box on the listing page.
- Add your template link to the order email and thank you pages.
- Click Publish to make your product go live for purchase.
Those are a few ways to get started selling on a website you fully control! Ultimately this is the best option for all digital product sellers as it will leave you with the most profit and the strongest brand.
While you can start off on a marketplace site like Etsy, you should always eventually create your own website to sell your products.
Want to keep learning?
Creating digital products you can sell is a wonderful online business and I enjoy sharing how to do the very same thing I’ve done to create a full time income!
The tips and tutorials linked below will help you create digital products worth selling.
Check out these Canva tutorial posts:
- Learn How To Create Printables In Canva Tutorial
- How To Make Transparent Backgrounds In Canva
- How To Make Curved Text In Canva Tutorial
And here are some posts about selling digital products that may help you:
- How to Make & Sell Printables on Etsy (Ultimate Guide)
- Resources For Selling Digital Downloads
- What I Wish I Knew Before Starting An Etsy Shop
- 63 Digital Product Ideas To Sell To Make Passive Income
- 17 Popular Digital Product Ideas To Sell To Make Passive Income
- 15 Digital Products to Sell Online For Passive Income In 2021
- How To Get Sales on Etsy For New Sellers
- How to Hide Your Etsy Shop Sales History (& REASONS WHY)
Mary is the founder of Pennies Not Perfection where she shares her journey to build wealth through online income. She quit her day job in 2021 after she paid off her debt and doubled her 9-5 salary.
Mary's favorite free financial tool is Personal Capital. She uses their free tools to track net worth and work toward to financial freedom.
Her favorite investment platform is M1 Finance, where she built a custom portfolio for free with no fees. She shares her portfolio growth and savings progress every month on YouTube.