Growing a YouTube channel can be hard and sometimes it depends on luck and topic. In fact, it can take some of us years to hit 10,000 subscribers while we watch other speed past us by multiple times. If you want to grow then there are some things you can do to increase your chances of growth and success.
Tips For Growing Your YouTube Channel
If you want to make more money from your small Youtube channel then the best way to do it is to grow your channel. The more people that find you the more money you will make.
Here are the ways I’ve learned to grow on YouTube.
Utilize Useful Youtube Growth Tools
I resisted using a paid tool like TubeBuddy for a while because I thought I was smart enough to do it on my own but when I finally caved and bought a subscription I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.
With TubeBuddy you can see EXACTLY what other channels are using for their tags and video data and compare their channels to yours. You can learn how to do a lot of title and tag work for SEO with TubeBuddy.
some of my other favorite tools I’ve used inside TubeBuddy while growing my channel:
- canned responses which is super useful for interacting with your audience
- upload checklist
- video topic planner
Those are a few of my favorite tools within my account to grow. TubeBuddy has a free version with limited tools listed here and paid accounts when you really want to grow (which are amazing for the price).
Learn About SEO
There are tons of videos on Youtube about how to use SEO on the platform. Watch some. Learn about what keywords are and how to use them. For many channels, search is the key way they are found and earn money.
To shorten your journey in learning and implementing SEO, I again recommend TubeBuddy because it’s like an all in one solution for YouTubers.
Here are the SEO tools you have access to inside TubeBuddy:
- view and copy video tags from another channel
- tag rankings so you can track where you rank
- suggested tags for your videos
- keyword explorer
- search rankings
- best practices audit
And even more! All of those tools help you get your video ranked on YouTube so you get more views. It seriously has more tools than I’ve even had time to use yet but what I have used above has helped take my videos to the next level.
Since I’ve been using TubeBuddy my SEO has improved and my search traffic has doubled. Seriously, it doubled! TubeBuddy has been an incredibly helpful and the first month I used it I actually doubled the views on my channel going from 45,000 views in a month to 110,000 in a month.
Having a community around your channel and your videos is another great way to guarantee successful video launches and continued success. Building community can be done in a few ways:
- commenting on other youtube channels
- responding to all of your comments
- referencing viewers and comments in your videos
- giving shoutouts to people in your community
- giving your viewers a nickname and expected phrases
Those are just a few ways I’ve found to build my community but you can find what works for you! The most successful YouTube channels have an element of community around them.
Those are just some of the ways I’ve learned how to grow my channel and consistently doubled my channel size each year I’ve been on Youtube while still keeping consistent and engaged subscribers.
Make Good Videos
Seriously, making good videos is how you grow on YouTube. There are a lot of additional factors but you won’t grow if you make bad videos.
You should be making videos that you know are good. If they make you cringe when you are rewatching to edit, how do you expect anyone else to enjoy them?
Here are a few of the best tips from successful creators I’ve followed about making good videos:
- Get to the point in your videos. Don’t ramble on for a long period at the beginning where people will fall off.
- Make your videos provide value. If your videos are educational then make them very educational. If they are entertainment based then they should provide value by making your viewer feel something. Think of each video and consider what value it is providing someone.
- Audio quality matters the most even over video quality. You can have top notch video but if your audio is bad people will stop watching.
- Focus on your presentation and story telling skills. When you first start making videos you probably won’t be very good at this but it’s something that makes the best YouTubers connect with their audience.
Remember that these are all things that you can work on and you can’t compare yourself to other creators. You should work hard to improve your skills and tune out the distractions of others.
Making Money On YouTube
Making money on YouTube is not a fast process, but it is possible!
I started YouTube as a hobby and quickly fell in love with the platform and how it allowed me to find a community, create content, and also make money for my time.
If you want to make money on YouTube I’ve written multiple posts about how do do earn money both directly on YouTube and with using YouTube as a traffic source to your products:
- How to make money on YouTube
- How to make money with affiliate marketing on a budget YouTube channel
- Complete beginner’s guide to affiliate marketing
I really enjoy sharing what I’ve learned about making money on YouTube, clearly! It’s an amazing platform that has completely changed many people’s lives by building a business or income from the platform.
You can see some of my past income reports on YouTube.
You can watch the video below to see how much YouTube paid me for 2 million views.
In that video I explain how YouTube pays for views and the amount of money they pay for videos with millions of views which is very useful to understand if you want to make money from your YouTube channel.