If you create YouTube videos, someone is going to steal them and try to pass them off as their own. It’s an unfortunate part of the platform but luckily YouTube gives you a way to stop that theft. This tutorial shows you how to file a copyright claim on YouTube to remove a video you own.
How To File A Copyright Claim On YouTube
This video shows how to file a copyright claim on YouTube when someone steals and uploads your video. This removes the video from YouTube and helps prevent future copies from being uploaded too.
Here are the steps to file a YouTube copyright claim:
- Login in to your YouTube account
- Navigate to your YouTube studio dashboard
- Click “Copyright” in the left menu
- Select “Removal requests” from the top menu
- Click “New Removal Request” link at the top right
- Click “+ Add A Video” blue button
- Fill in the info for your video and the infringing video
- Click the “Add to List” button
- Fill out the personal information under the “Copyright owner” section
- Choose the removal option you want (7 day notice or immediate)
- Click the “Prevent copies of these videos from appearing on YouTube going forward” button
- Click the checkbox certifying you have the rights to your content
- Under the “Legal agreements” section click all the checkboxes
- Type in your legal name under signature
- Click the blue “Submit” button at the top
That’s it! You can skip the first few steps if YouTube has already found the infringing video through their systems. It will fill in everything under the “Videos requested for removal” section automatically.
It’s one of the great features on YouTube that actually protects creators and something other platforms don’t currently offer. I hope it helps you!
Why Use The YouTube Copyright Claim Report?
Not sure why you would use this feature to remove videos on YouTube?
This feature is mainly for when channels scrape your videos and re-upload the whole video. They are trying to steal your work and monetize it on their own channel.
It’s not for videos where they are using your content in a fair use way like reacting or promoting it by sharing clips in their own video.
You can use the copyright claim report to prevent channels from stealing and monetizing your content.
More YouTube Tips & Tutorials
Here are a few useful YouTube tutorials on Pennies Not Perfection:
- Tips For Growing A YouTube Channel
- How To Make Money On YouTube
- How to Get Free Products to Review on YouTube
Faceless YouTube Videos
- 40 Faceless YouTube Video Ideas
- YouTube Cash Cow Channel Ideas
- Make Money On YouTube Without Showing Your Face
- Profitable Niches On YouTube
Youtube Tips & Tricks
- 235+ Video Ideas For YouTube
- Entire YouTube Studio Setup On One Desk
- YouTube Growth Tips For 1,000 Subscribers
Check out more YouTube tutorials or request a new tutorial by reaching out on Instagram!
If you want to say thank you, you can Buy Me A Coffee.
Here are a few useful YouTube resources that can help you start, run, and grow your channel:
Get organized and succeed on YouTube! Streamline your processes and hit your goals by getting organized with this YouTube planner with multiple sections on content planning, channel analytics, monetization, and more.
Easily manage, optimize, edit, and GROW your YouTube channel with TubeBuddy's tools. Want to grow on YouTube? You need TubeBuddy. Try now for FREE.
Adobe Creative Cloud gives you the world’s best creative apps and services so you can make anything you can imagine, wherever you’re inspired.
Canva makes it easy to create professional designs quickly. They include tons of free templates, photos and fonts to make your design perfect.
Grow, nurture, and monetize your audience on ConvertKit.
Hire the best virtual assistants and employees from the Philippines to help grow your online business.
Get music for your YouTube videos and other content without worrying about copyright issues.
How Anyone Can Unlock the Algorithm to Drive Views, Build an Audience, and Grow Revenue
Free tool that gives you insights and guidance to grow your YouTube channel. Use vidIQ to audit performance, research topics, and grow your views.
Learn how to grow a profitable YouTube channel while still working full-time. This course from lawyer Erika Kullberg teaches you everything you need to know.
If you’re a creator struggling to convince brands to pay you, check out the Gifted To Paid course from Creator Wizard.
Learn how to turn free product offers to paid partnerships.
Find freelancers to help you grow your team and earn more money from your business.
Mary is the founder of Pennies Not Perfection where she shares her journey to build wealth through online income. She quit her day job in 2021 after she paid off her debt and doubled her 9-5 salary.
Mary's favorite free financial tool is Personal Capital. She uses their free tools to track net worth and work toward to financial freedom.
Her favorite investment platform is M1 Finance, where she built a custom portfolio for free with no fees. She shares her portfolio growth and savings progress every month on YouTube.