Over on my Youtube channel I recently shared my home office makeover that included my entire Youtube studio setup on one desk.
Office Makeover Before & After
This was one of the home improvement projects I wanted to complete during my maternity leave so that I was able to film YouTube videos more quickly before and after work. I ended up quitting my job to do YouTube full time soon after maternity leave so I’m even happier that I was able to plan out an amazing room for myself to work in each day.
The before and after of my office was not dramatic visually but more so functionally. Every time I step into my office I’m ready to work and have multiple clean workspaces where I can begin working.
It’s ideal for my personal use but I’m also able to utilize the multiple desks for letting my daughter or husband join me as well.
Customizing My YouTube Filming Set Up
During this process I enrolled in Dream Studio Course. I don’t take courses often but the many technical aspects of this project felt overwhelming and I knew a guide would be helpful.
Signing up for the course allowed me to customize my setup and work with the items I had while learning how to create a professional studio. I took a cohort based version of the course so when I encountered roadblocks or needed studio feedback I was able to get that each week.
When I started the class I was filming with my phone and a single ring light. It was acceptable for me and I actually managed to grow a pretty good following and decent YouTube income just using my phone and a ring light tripod.
However, I knew I could up my game if I just had the right knowledge and guidance. I was overwhelmed by all the technical aspects of creating an ideal filming studio but the course made it much easier to digest.
By the end of the class I was filming videos with a much higher quality.
You can see the difference in quality in the video I shared above along with these before and after video screenshots.
The main things that helped improve my video quality:
- learning about lighting and how to position lights to make myself look the best
- how to create depth and visual interest with your background
- positioning and angle of the lens and camera
- camera basics like aperture and ISO
All of these were things I learned from Kevin in the Dream Studio Course. While I believe just upgrading my camera would have improved the quality aspect, the true change came from creating a studio designed for film.
- Read more: Dream Studio Course Review
Filming Setup Before & After
My office makeover began with some useful items but a pretty basic filming setup.
I was using an iphone with a ring light tripod to shoot all of my content and wanted to upgrade my filming setup for both quality and practicality.
I was inspired for this project by this video about setting up a YouTube studio on a desk.
I didn’t follow his plan exactly and tried to reuse as much gear as I could since I already had a few lights. However, the concept was exactly what I wanted – an easy setup ready to go every time I sat down at my desk.
Thanks to being enrolled in the Dream Studio course at the same time as this project I was able to ask questions when I wanted to customize something to my situation.
I ended up creating a modified version of this YouTube Studio setup on one desk. I bought a standing desk that I could add wheels to so mine would be portable.
I also played around with creative lighting sources since that was something I learned about in the course.
One of my favorite office additions was the lighting behind my bookcase.
The colorful lighting and different filming setups made a huge difference in my office.
I felt more professional and happy any time I walked in to the room. I also had very little setup time required and was able to walk in and begin creating immediately.
This process truly helped create a better filming workflow in addition to creating a beautiful space to create YouTube videos.
A faster workflow along with better YouTube video planning has led to ever increasing YouTube income.
YouTube Studio Office Gear
Naturally when I film now I get questions about what I’m using. In an effort to make it easy for someone else to copy this setup or quickly buy any of the cool stuff in my functional and fun office, I’ve created a list of all the items used.
YouTube Studio Setup On One Desk Gear List
Here’s the list of everything used to set up my filming studio on a desk:
- Camera: https://amzn.to/3D0o9ye
- Lens: https://amzn.to/3D2tmp9
- Microphone on camera: https://amzn.to/3geuSeg
- Voiceover microphone: https://amzn.to/2WdrSHY
- Tripod ring light: https://amzn.to/3y4vn0p
- Standing desk: https://amzn.to/3gcFbPV
- Desk wheels: https://amzn.to/3CZB8jz
- Tall mount stand: https://amzn.to/2W1UFQ0
- Mounting arm 1: https://amzn.to/2W12hSR
- Mounting arm 2: https://amzn.to/3D3EJxh
- Monitor mount: https://amzn.to/3swePNC
- Camera monopod: https://amzn.to/3z1tKC4
- Tripod ball head: https://amzn.to/2XKXBkx
Office Gear List:
Here’s a list of everything else in my office!
- Laptop stand: https://amzn.to/2W1msjx
- Laptop: https://amzn.to/2W8OZDI
- Ipad: https://amzn.to/37WpaZE
- Ipad cover: https://amzn.to/3CUhbdY
- Ipad screen protector: https://amzn.to/3stHKSA
- Apple pencil: https://amzn.to/3CZEq6p
- Salt lamp: https://amzn.to/3iZCdzW
- Fairy lights: https://amzn.to/2WaSGsh
- Industrial bookshelf: similar: https://amzn.to/3sxedqX
- White cube shelf: https://amzn.to/3y1uENq
- Long desk: https://bit.ly/3mcarCq
- Drawer units: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/alex-drawer-unit-white-00473546/
- Chair: https://amzn.to/3kboAwP (bought used in 2014)
Hopefully this list of items used in my office will help you create your own unique set up!
Mary is the founder of Pennies Not Perfection where she shares her journey to build wealth through online income. She quit her day job in 2021 after she paid off her debt and doubled her 9-5 salary.
Mary's favorite free financial tool is Personal Capital. She uses their free tools to track net worth and work toward to financial freedom.
Her favorite investment platform is M1 Finance, where she built a custom portfolio for free with no fees. She shares her portfolio growth and savings progress every month on YouTube.