If you want to know how to change your Etsy shop name then this is the post for you.
It’s actually a very easy process you can do in under two minutes and Etsy takes care of all the backend work when you change your Etsy shop name (THANK GOODNESS).
How To Change Your Etsy Shop Name
Changing your shop name on Etsy is easy.
Follow these steps to change your name:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager
- Click Settings
- Select and click Info & Appearance
- Click Change next to Shop name
- Enter your new shop name
- Click Save
Here are some things to know about your Etsy shop name:
- Shop names can be up to 20 characters long
- Shop names can’t have spaces or punctuation
- You can capitalize letters in your shop name to distinguish separate words
- Your shop name becomes part of your shop URL which will look like etsy.com/shop/shopname & shopname.etsy.com
Reasons To Change Your Etsy Shop Name
There are a number of reasons why you would want to change your Etsy shop name:
- you picked a temporary Etsy shop name when you started
- your business or brand name is changing
- you want to include a keyword for better SEO
- you want a more memorable shop name – and more!
There are many reasons why you might want to change Etsy shop names.
Things To Know About Changing Names
When you change your the name for your shop you’ll need to know a few things:
There are name change limits.
Once your shop is open you can change your name up to five times. After that you can’t use this process and you’ll need to contact Etsy support. If you need another change you can use the same form to submit a name change request that will go to Etsy Support who will review the request.
Try to spend time on your Etsy shop name before the change so you don’t have to do the process multiple times.
Shop names can’t be used twice.
Because Etsy updates URLs and has a complicated system, once a shop name has been used on a shop then it can’t be used again. Shop names can be connected to closed shops or shops that have changed names. Once a shop name is used it is used for good.
You won’t be able to use a shop name on another account of yours even if you closed that account and shop. The only way to re-use a shop name is to reopen your shop.
You have options to get your legal name.
If you are trying to open your shop with your business name but it is already taken you have some options. If you hold the intellectual property rights for your chosen shop name via a trademark then you can take action.
The first step is to contact the user that has your shop name. You can also file a notice of intellectual property infringement. You will have to contact Etsy support about the name after this since a notice does not free up the name for use on its own.
Keep Learning About Etsy
Selling on Etsy can be life-changing. It has created steady passive income for me each month that pays for multiple bills. The potential of selling on Etsy is truly amazing.
You can learn more about selling on Etsy with these tips and tutorials:
- How To Start An Etsy Shop
- How To Get Sales on Etsy
- Ways To Get Reviews On Etsy
- Do You Need A Business License For Etsy?
- What I Wish I Knew Before Starting An Etsy Shop
- How to Make & Sell Printables on Etsy
- 63 Digital Product Ideas To Sell On Etsy
- How To Make A Coupon Code On Etsy
Mary is the founder of Pennies Not Perfection where she shares her journey to build wealth through online income. She quit her day job in 2021 after she paid off her debt and doubled her 9-5 salary.
Mary's favorite free financial tool is Personal Capital. She uses their free tools to track net worth and work toward to financial freedom.